MAY 2012
Khaas Baat : A Publication for Indian Americans in Florida



By Kamlesh H. Patel, CPA

The April 17 tax deadline might be a distant memory for some, but charities have another due date to contend with: May 15. That’s the deadline for most nonprofit annual returns, and missing it could be a serious problem for your charity.

Last year, the IRS reported that it had revoked the tax-exempt status of more than 275,000 charities for failure to file their annual return. And the consequences of this action are rather severe. Donors can no longer deduct contributions to these organizations on their tax returns, and the organizations might be taxed as corporations.

With some exceptions, such as for qualified church and other religious organizations, every nonprofit is required to complete a Form 990, 990-EZ, or 990-N. Private foundations are required to file Form 990-PF.

The good news, however, is that filing your charity’s return might be easier than you think. A nonprofit with annual gross receipts of less than $50,000 can file Form 990-N, which has only eight questions and is filed electronically. Larger nonprofits, however, are left with the Form 990-EZ or the longer Form 990. If your charity runs a business on the side to help raise funds, it might have to file Form 990-T, where income on those unrelated sales could be taxed.

So what can you do if your nonprofit fails to file its return by May 15? Your first step might be to contact a tax professional to determine the full extent of the delinquency. Here’s why: May 15 is the deadline for charities with a Dec. 31 accounting year-end, but your charity might have a different year-end. In that situation, the due date is the 15th day of the 5th month after the close of the fiscal year.


Taxes may be the last thing on your mind when you’re changing jobs, but overlooking their impact could mean missed tax-saving opportunities. Issues to consider include the following:

Planning Tip: Have the money in your retirement account transferred directly into another qualified plan or an IRA. A direct rollover avoids automatic income tax withholding and income taxes.

First, the distance from your old home to your new workplace must be at least 50 miles farther than the distance from your old home to your old workplace. Second, you must work full time in your new location for at least 39 weeks during the 12 months following your move. The time test doesn’t apply if you’re laid off from your new job or later transferred for your employer’s benefit.


When it comes to taxes, growing older has its advantages. Here are some of the tax breaks available as you reach a certain age.

Kamlesh H. Patel, CPA, can be reached at (813) 949-8889 or e-mail or

homeeventsbiz directorysubscribecontact uscontentclasses/places of worshipnewseditorialhealthimmigration
financeayurvedatechno cornermoviesfashionmusic/dancebooksyogascene to be seenhome improvementastrology
Archives Contact Subscribe Biz Directory Events Home Read the Editor's Blog. By Nitish Rele Classifieds Getaway Motoring Cuisine Astrology Home Improvement Books Yoga Music and Dance Fashion Movies Techno Corner Finance Immigration Health Editorial News Classes/Places of Worship Content Find us on Facebook! Ayurveda Scene to be Seen